As a small city in the Bernese Highlands, Interlaken boasts of a location between the Brienzsee and Thun, the two Alpine lakes. It is one of the most popular destinations for those people who love outdoor sports and traveling.
The tourists have a lot of options when they want to get in Interlaken. They can use the trains, which arrive from different locations including Zurich, Basel, Berne, Luzern and Geneva. There is a connection at Spiez which enables the tourists to access canton Valais and Italy through Lotschberg and Simplon tunnels. The tourists can board the trains from two different stations the Interlaken West which is closer to the center of the City and the Interlaken OST. Although mist of the trains stop at the two stations, those heading to Luzern do not while those traveling to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen only stop at the OST station. The tourists who are traveling by car should follow the Auto route A8, which was formerly known as Auto route N8 and they will head towards the City center. The other option is to travel by bus. The Bus2Alps has a private bus operation that serves cities such as Florence, Paris, Munich and Rome to Interlaken. The timetable for these buses varies with the busiest months being February and March when there are a lot of winter sport activities. The tourists will also be able to find different types of accommodation packages which will cater for different groups, both small and big.
Due to the small size of the city, the tourists can get around on bikes or on foot. They can also get taxis from their hotels or the train stations. Some of the tourists can get guests cards from their hotels, with which they can move around the city for free. Some of these cards also give the tourists discounts to some of the must see attractions.
Exploring the city
The tourists can rent vehicles to explore the city and even drive to the lakes on their own. With their drivers license they are in a position to rent cars, scooters, motorcycles and fun cars as they wish. The price is inclusive of the maps and directions as provided.
• The Hoheweg, Interlaken’s main street that runs between the Interlaken OST and Interlaken West train stations, is one of the main places to visit. The tourists will be treated to different souvenir shops and they will have a beautiful view of the Old Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel, which is 150 years old. The other great site while at Hoheweg is the view of the snow covered Jungfrau, which the tourist can view from the Hohematte.
• Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn- the tourists can enjoy viewing this glaciated UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is located in the Bernese Alps above Interlaken.
• Unterseen- situated near the Interlaken West Railway station, Unterseen is a small town that is less crowded as compared to Interlaken. It has a number of bakeries and shops. In order to get there, the tourists will need to cross the bridge over the water near the train station, while heading away from Interlaken.
What to do
In Interlaken, the tourists can carry out different types of activities according to the season. The Tourists can freely shop at the souvenir shops all through the year. Some of them include the Swiss Army Knives, Watches and chocolate among others.
Some of the activities for the summer include:
• Hiking- In Interlaken, there are different places to go for a good hike. Some of them include the Harder Mountain and Schynige Platte.
• Walks- Tourists can take walks on the different locations including the shores of Lake Thin and Lake Brienz. The can also opt for the 2 hour walk from the West train Station to Neuhaus. They will walk along the Aare River and through the nature reserve Neuhaus. To get back to Interlaken, they can take a boat or a bus.
• Adventure sports- there are different types of sports activities that the tourists can undertake including bungee jumping, rock climbing, canyoning, river rafting and other outdoor activities. There are a number of outdoor companies in Interlaken that the tourists can visit for t more information.
• Swimming- the tourists can have a swim in Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. They can also visit Neuhaus, where there is a swimming area with changing rooms, showers and restaurants. The other location is Burgseeli nature reserve.
• Boat trips- there are boat trips from Interlaken West on Lake Thun and from Interlaken OST on Lake Brienz.
• Biking, sailing and skydiving are other outdoor activities for summer.
• Snowboards/ skis- the Jungfrau winter sport region is one of the largest area where the tourists can enjoy these activities. They can get family friendly and beginner friendly lifts and slopes.
• Sledging- tourists can sledge from Faulhorn to Grindelwald. At Faulhorn, they get a beautiful view of the Alps before they go down 15km to Gindelwald. There are other great sledging areas that can be accessed by bus or train.
• Other activities for winter include night sledding, cross-country skiing, ice skating and swimming in indoor pools.
There are many restaurants in Interlaken, where the tourists can eat variety of foods including the Swiss dishes as well as other international cuisines. The Bebbis restaurant provides traditional Swiss food, the Kang Chon Central and the Star offer Korean dishes while the El Azteca serves authentic Mexican foods. Those tourists who want to save money on foods can buy ingredients from the Coop Supermarket. Interlaken is also famous for its nightlife. The guests can enjoy drinks at different places such as the Hooters Bar and Restaurant, the Brasserie 17, with a nice summer terrace, Balmer’s Hostel, which has an underground bar and a dance club and the Funny Farm which has nice outdoor chill areas. IN terms of accommodation, all the tourists must make reservations in summer and should know that some hotels are not opened throughout the year. Some of these hotels include Balmer’s Herberge Youth Hostel, Hotel Rugenpark B&B, Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof, Swiss Inn and City Swiss Quality hotel among others.